Fresh Peach Pie
A summertime classic! Fresh peaches + nutmeg + brown sugar & pecan crumble.
- 6 cups fresh peaches peeled and quartered or cut into chunks/large slices (about 9 medium peaches)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup cream or milk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup pecans toasted and chopped (hazelnuts also good)
Form the crust
Roll out your pie dough with a rolling pin on a lightly-floured work surface until it’s a large enough circle (about 12 inches in diameter) to fit into a 9-inch pie pan. Roll the dough up loosely around a rolling pin and unroll into pan. Press dough firmly into sides and corners of pie pan and trim excess dough around the edges to about 1-inch past the edge of the pan. Tuck the overhanging dough under itself, so the dough lines up with the edge of the pan. Flute with your fingers or use the tines of a fork to make a triangle pattern.
Assemble the pie
Arrange peaches in pastry-lined pan. Sprinkle granulated sugar and nutmeg over peaches. Beat eggs and cream together and pour over peaches and sugar. Refrigerate while you make the crumble and wait for the oven to preheat.
Mix brown sugar, flour, butter and salt in a small bowl until crumbly. Sprinkle crumb mixture over fruit in pie pan.
- To peel the peaches, I used a serrated soft flesh fruit/vegetable peeler rather than blanching them for simplicity, but blanching works wonderfully too.
- My 9 peaches weighed 2.5 lbs after being peeled and sliced into large pieces/slices.